Explain Brenkert’s position in “Marketing and the Vulnerable.” Next, apply his arguments to the case study “Kraft Foods Inc.: The Cost of Advertising on Children’s Waistlines.”What would Brenkert likely conclude about this case? Why? Do you agree or disagree with Brenkert? Why?
Submit a 600-700 word response in APA 6th ed. format. Your paper must include at least two external references. THANK YOU.
- You are a state court judge. You have a first time offender in your court. His charge is armed robbery but he tells you his reason for the robbery was to support his drug addiction. He also tells you that he got involved with drugs while he was hanging out with his friends. He has waived his right to a jury trial and has asked you to decide the case and grant him treatment rather than prison time
- In Week One of this course, you were asked to find a child to observe. For this assignment, you will observe the child using the requirements below and summarize your observation. This can be done in one sitting, or it can be done in two since you will be conducting two different observations. Two is preferable for accuracy of assessment. For the observation you will need to: Be sure you have the permission of the child’s parent. Exclude any identifying information for this child (e.g., last name) Follow the guidelines on pages 141-144 of the course text regarding behaviors during the visit (ethical conduct, avoiding personal bias, etc.). Be sure you have the appropriate materials ready: You will need either a Running Record Form or an Anectodal Record Form, whichever you choose. For this form, you will choose one developmental domain to observe (e.g., cognitive, physical, motor, or language). You will need either a Time Sampling Form or an Event Sampling Form, whichever you choose. For this form, you will choose one developmental domain to observe (e.g., cognitive, physical, motor, or language). Example: Assessing “Bobby,” I would first observe his motor development using an anecdotal record form. In a different sitting, I would observe his cognitive development using an event sampling form. For the assignment, you will need to include: A title page. A copy of the completed Running Record Form or Anecdotal Record Form (remember this should address one domain). A copy of the completed Time-Sampling Form or Event Sampling Form (this should address a different domain). A one page summary of the observation(s). In this summary, include: How you felt the observation went and why. How receptive you feel the child was and why you feel that way (if using one of the video options state the reaction of the child upon being videotaped as you see it). The most challenging aspect of this observation. The most enjoyable aspect of this observation. What you learned from this experience. What you would change next time. A one-page paper providing some developmentally appropriate activities you might implement for this child in the classroom or daycare center to foster growth in each of the developmental domains you observed, and why those activities are a good fit for this child. Your two-page paper should be in proper 6th edition APA format. Remember to submit two written pages, both observation forms, and your title page in one document. Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
- Antitrust laws were essentially created to stop businesses that got too large from blocking competition and abusing their power. Mergers and monopolies can limit the choices offered to consumers because smaller businesses are not usually able to compete. Although free and open competition ensures lower prices and new and better products, it has the potential to significantly limit market diversity. Look at the 2 examples below of how mergers and acquisitions have affected the way in which companies do business. Read each of the 2 examples below. Prepare a APA formatted research paper that responds to the aligned questions. Specifically, your paper must: Identify the two firms with similar problems from different countries Conduct a comparative analysis of the firms Analyze political, social, ethical and legal differences and their impact on management decision making Provide substantive conclusion and recommendations Submitting your assignment in APA format means, at a minimum, you will need the following: TITLE PAGE. Remember the Running head: AND TITLE IN ALL CAPITALS ABSTRACT. A summary of your paper…not an introduction. Begin writing in third person voice. BODY. The body of your paper begins on the page following the title page and abstract page and must be double-spaced (be careful not to triple- or quadruple-space between paragraphs). The type face should be 12-pt. Times Roman or 12-pt. Courier in regular black type. Do not use color, bold type, or italics except as required for APA level headings and references. The deliverable length of the body of your paper for this assignment is 4-5 pages. In-body academic citations to support your decisions and analysis are required. A variety of academic sources is encouraged. REFERENCE PAGE. References that align with your in-body academic sources are listed on the final page of your paper. The references must be in APA format using appropriate spacing, hang indention, italics, and upper and lower case usage as appropriate for the type of resource used. Remember, the Reference Page is not a bibliography but a further listing of the abbreviated in-body citations used in the paper. Every referenced item must have a corresponding in-body citation. Example 1 Federal antitrust enforcers are investigating whether a multinational pharmaceutical company has attempted to minimize the impact of generic competition to one of its most profitable prescription drugs. This anti-depressant drug is the company's best seller, with sales last year of $2.11 billion, representing a 22% increase from the year before. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is conducting an investigation to determine whether the company has engaged in activities to prevent generic alternatives to the prescription drug from entering the market. Specifically, the FTC is challenging a practice among brand-name and generic-drug manufacturers to agree to delay the introduction of the lower priced generic drugs to the market. Answer the following questions: Why would the drug maker want to stymie generic competition? Explain. What types of legal barriers to market entry exist? What are the possible ethical dilemmas present in this example? Example 2 The boards of 2 major telecommunications companies recently agreed to a $16 billion-dollar merger that would create the world's largest telecommunications company in the world. Although some agree that the synergy between these companies could be dynamic, others feel consumers could ultimately pay the price for the merger depending on which company becomes dominant in the various service areas. Answer the following questions: Why do you think consumer advocates have expressed concern over such merger possibilities? Other than pricing, what are some pitfalls that consumers might have to deal with when 2 major companies merge? What are the possible ethical dilemmas present in this example?
- While the media may try to communicate a message of non-bias when it comes to gender in advertising, there is still a significant amount of information that communicates the exact opposite. Identify the different sociological approaches when it comes to gender and research, and then find these examples in advertising and the media. Why do you think this still occurs in the United States? Describe the different examples you found and how they apply to the sociological perspective.
- In the Holistic view of health and illness, there is a definite distinction made between the outcomes of healing and cure. One of the ideas stated in the reading is that healing can occur even in the absence of cure. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why?
- What are the characteristics of standard normal distribution? The HR department of an organization collects data on employees’ age, salary, level of education, gender, and ethnicity. Which data do you think is more likely to follow normal distribution? Explain why. What is the role of probability concepts in business decision-making? Provide specific examples. What are the differences between probability and coincidence? Can the probability be more than 1 or less than 0? Explain why or why not.
- In the Persuasive Research Paper, you will simply want to take a position on an issue of your choice, using research to support your position and to try to convince others to adopt your position.
- Coaching and mentoring should be a core competency of nurses prepared at the graduate level Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- An important component of studying social justice movements is seeing their activities unfold. In this regard one can explore their dynamics and outcomes, analyze their tactics, understand social movement organizations and participants, and get at the reasons for their mobilization and beliefs. This assignment is an effort to get you “into the field” to enable you to “see” social movement activities. Students can do this by critically evaluating a film for its significance to the study of social justice movements, be it in its depiction of a social movement or the voice that it gives to a movement. Sociologically analyzing a film Film is not just a component of popular culture or key form of mass media; it is also an important voice that brings relevance to numerous political issues and debates occurring in society. In addition it is a viable means with which to observe social movement activity when it is otherwise unobservable as when it occurred in the past, or in places other than in our own backyard. With this option, you are to observe a social movement depicted in film as if you were “in the field” and analyze it using the theoretical perspectives, ideas, and other tools you have developed in sociology. 1. Choose your film. I have attached a list of potential films from which you can select. See the appendix to this document. I encourage you to select something that reflects your interest in a particular social movement. If you have questions about any of these please let me know. Also, this list is by no means exhaustive and I am always searching for additional options, so if you are interested in viewing something not on the list or give me ideas for should be on the list, please let me know. ******2. When you have chosen your film, submit the film title, year, and the reason you believe it to be appropriate for the issue you are examining. The rest of the final paper is due during week 8 3. The details and write-up As when observing a real social justice movement, you want to watch the film and account for its events as if you were trapped in celluloid with its actors and witnessing it as if reality. Thus, you must try to become engulfed in the activities, characters, images, and themes of the film so as to analyze the events from a sociological perspective. In analyzing the film you want to provide not only description of events and background of the social movement/protest activities but also must analyze it by considering the following guidelines and questions as appropriate: A. Can the actions depicted in the film be considered a social movement? How does it fit the definition and conceptualization of social justice movements that we have examined? Discuss, citing what evidence of ideology, organization, and tactics is present in the protest activities. Make your argument citing clear evidence from the film and tying it to course readings and the class. B. What theoretical perspective might best explain the movement as depicted in the film? Explain, citing evidence as to how events in the film depict theoretical claims. It may be that you have to borrow elements from multiple perspectives to fully explain the film. Why might this be the case? What does this say about sociology and the study of social movements? Define social justice. C. Discuss a component of the social movement dynamics as depicted in the film. There are a large number of possible options here, so be specific with what best fits your movement and film. For example, what role does institutional authority have in provoking or limiting movement activities or how is the movement or events surrounding it framed by participants or those outside of the mobilization, internal struggles and leadership, bureaucratization, cooptation, globalization, etc. D. Finally, briefly critique the film for its usefulness in capturing the essence of the social movement of interest and the broader study of social movements. What were its strengths and weaknesses? How close did it depict reality as opposed to being merely “Hollywood fluff”? These are the essential points that you could consider in your paper, assuming their relevance to the film of choice. Focus on the elements most appropriate for your ANALYSIS and feel free to include additional extensions as appropriate. There are multiple ways that the write-up for this assignment can be done depending on the film and social movement of interest and the above considerations will be easier to do for some films than for others. ****4. Post an outline of your paper or a draft in the discussion forum marked “Final Paper II.” 5. General guidelines Papers should contain no more than 3-5 pages of text. They should be typed, double-spaced, with one-inch margins all around. Font should be of legible size, no larger than 12. Papers should be submitted with a separate title page that contains your name, date, and title of the paper as well as a separate bibliography page at the end to include scholarly references you have used (if any—these are not required). The cover page and bibliography page do not count against your page total. I am willing to assist you in any way possible during the research process, be it deciding on a film, discussing your ideas, finding sources, or assistance with any number of other questions you may have. Please email me with concerns and problems. 6. Post your assignment in the discussion board with “Final Project III” label. It is due by week 8. Read at least one other project paper and respond The final project is worth 75 points. Your grade will be based on your analysis, your use of social theories and concepts from the text , sociological insights, and the quality of your replies. Good luck! Adapted from: Scanlan, Stephen. 2010. “Imagination Assignment 1—“Seeing” Social Movements.” Assignment published in TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology Appendix: A sample of social justice films: American Standoff And the Band Played On Animal Farm Beyond Rangoon Born on the Fourth of July Bloody Sunday Bread and Roses Breaking the Bank Chicano! History of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement Citizen Ruth Cry Freedom Do the Right Thing Erin Brockavich Eyes on the Prize (Part I or II)Fight Back, Fight AIDS: 15 Years of ACT UP For Colored Girls Four Little Girls Freedom on My Mind Get on the Bus Gandhi Hairspray Harlan County U.S.A. In Whose Honor? Iron Jawed Angels Justice in the Coalfields Las Madres: The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo Long Night’s Journey into Day The Lorax Malcolm X Matewan The Milagro Beanfield War Moving the Mountain A Place Called Chiapas Romero Schindler’s List Sir No Sir Some Mother’s Son Stonewall Store Wars: When Wal-Mart Comes to Town Sweat: A Story of Solidarity The Big One The Birth of a Nation The Boys in the Band The Burning Season The Power of One The Righteous Babes The War at Home This is What Democracy Looks Like To Save the Land and People Union Maids With God on Our Side and more … Invisible Children Walkout Another World is Possible The White Rose Rosa Luxemburg Berkeley in the sixties One Woman, one vote Making Sense of the Sixties A force more powerful 10,000 Black Men Named George Zoot Suit Riots Weather Underground Harlan County USA Matewan Germinal Norma Rae Shoulder to Shoulder The Wave Life & Debt The Times of Harvey Milk Hearts and Minds Iron Jawed Angels Paris Is Burning The Battle of Chile American Hardcore The Laramie Project The Singing Revolution Milk Tying the Knot Viva La Causa – the Story of Cesar Chavez V-DAY: UNTIL THE VIOLENCE STOPS ENCOUNTER POINT Zeitgeist: The Movie. // Zeitgeist: Addendum
- consider the profiles of each of the four generations and share how these profiles apply to your generation. Explain how and why they do or do not apply. How may the characteristics of your generation affect how you are managed in the workplace?